One of the greatest Ford’s of all time is really becoming a highly valued classic. The Ford Sierra RS 500 Cosworth was limited to 500 units and was a homologated evolution of the Sierra Cosworth to help drive the race car to success in the Group A touring car series.
Low mileage examples now sell for up to £50,000. The limited numbers and success of the car on the race track make this a sought after classic sports car.
The 500 cars were made for the UK market and the differences were as follows:
- Engine with a thicker walled cylinder block
- Larger Garrett T31/T04 turbocharger
- Uprated fuel pump
- Larger air-air intercooler
- Reworked induction system
- Second set of 4 fuel injectors and a second fuel rail
- Uprated oil and and cooling systems
- Extended (and unused mounts) rear semi-trailing arm beam
- Rear tail gate had a lower spoiler in addition to the upper whale tail, which had an added lip
- Discrete RS500 badges on the rear tail gate and front wings
- Redesigned front bumper and spoiler
- Removal of the fog lamps and their replacement with intake grilles to boost brake cooling